Wednesday 7 March 2012

revelation of the month- I like children.

Hello everyone ! It's been a while since I've blogged, but that is in fact the nature of TY. Between Lollipop day (which we will get to), work experience and the percussion workshop my absence from my computer has taken its toll on blogging- all is well though class Banba are all currently blogging away in IT class.
 Firstly, TY's are still recovering from the excitement of lollipop day nearly 2 weeks on. For those of you who haven't a notion of what lollipop day is, its an annual event where lollipops are sold aroud the country in aid of oesophageal cancer. It's a tradition in Saint Wolstan's for the TY's to set off to Dublin city in groups of two or three ( which we get to choose) and be put at a random location around the city and sell lollipops badges and also stickers. The Woolies girls took the city by storm and you couldn't turn a corner without running into at least 8 of us on a street. Lollipop day was definitely one of the highlights of my TY year. 
 Next came work experience. Let me make myself clear when I say that I am not (or so I thought) a particular fan of those who are under 12 and over 5. However, I thought it would be a good idea to go to a primary school, Saint Brigid's, for a week to determine whether teaching is really out of the question for me. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into a room of 28 bubbly senior infants between the ages of 5 and 6 and not the screaming anti Christs I had expected. Over the week I developed a great relationship with the class. Each individual had completely different personalities and each had a witty sense of humour. On my second day I was greeted by Orla, a gorgeous little girl with a black bob, who handed me a card ( and yes , there was even an envelope decorated with lovehearts and  the highly valued flower stickers) which read " You will make a grate teecher and I like your glassis"- it was at this point that I realised teaching is a very practical career path and a possible one for me. An overall amazing experience.
 As if the past 2 weeks weren't exciting enough when we arrived into school on Monday after work experience we were welcomed back with a day of free classes because of a percussion workshop. We worked on the African djembé drum ( spelled jembay) for the day which was also a wonderful experience! Ty definitely presents opportunities that I otherwise never would have been offered!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Leah. I think you will make a great teacher :)

    Mrs L :)

    ReplyDelete